I thought it might be fun from time to time to share some of my bucket list races towards my 50 state half marathon quest. I literally typed out all the states on a word document, printed it out, have a little over half filled in with a pen and I’m adding to it as I go! The list is an evolving document that will probably change over the years as I get closer to the goal or find other interesting races to run in!
So for this post, we’ll start with the first five states alphabetically! Please let me know if you have any suggestions as well for the list as we go along For me, there has to be a few factors—the race has to have AWESOME bling (if I’m spending the money to go there, then I better get a great medal out of it!) and it has to be semi-big (I’m not a super fast runner, so I don’t want to be one of the last ones done!)
Alabama—Mercedes Half Marathon
- Held in Birmingham in mid February every year—the bling is the Mercedes benz symbol we’ve all come to know and the t-shirt is always pretty nice too! Not a super huge race, but it has about 5,000 people in it.
Alaska—Skinny Raven Half Marathon
- There is not much to choose for Alaska and most people do the Mayors Run, but running on a trail and in the evening is not for me (I don’t mind doing runs during the week in the evening, but on a half marathon day, I’d rather just get up and go!). This one is held in Anchorage in August.
Arizona—Rock N Roll Arizona
- I’ve already ran 2 Rock N Roll Races, but you’ll see the Rock N Roll Series appear frequently on my bucket 50 state list. Rock N Roll knows how to put on a good run that’s well supported, always big and has “pretty good” bling (this year they finally have updated their ribbons…yippy!). This race is always run in the middle of January in Phoenix.
Arkansas—Little Rock Half Marathon
- I will be completing this one on Sunday! Great bling, 12,000 runners, and very well supported on the course! Look for my race recap either Tuesday or Thursday next week
California—Disneyland Half Marathon
- I’d actually like to complete the Dumbo Double Dare when I take on this race. It’s a 10k on Saturday and a half on Sunday. You get not 2 medals, but 3 for completing the challenge! This race is large, held in Disneyland, and over Labor Day weekend. If I can do the Walt Disney World Marathon in January 2015, I’m hoping to make this race a reality in August 2015 so I can get the Coast to Coast Medal (running a race in Disneyworld and Disneyland in the same calendar year). The race filled up in less than 45 minutes this year, so I’ll need to be prepared to register the moment (literally) it opens if I can do it in 2015!
- I might also want to run the Tinker Bell Half Marathon in Disneyland too at some point. They have a 10k too for that race, but it’s not a challenge yet to do both… I’m sure it’s only a matter of time! That race is held over Mother’s Day weekend now… so maybe someday I could convince my mom that we needed to go to Disneyland for Mother’s Day?? http://www.rundisney.com/tinker-bell-half-marathon/
- I’d also at some point love to do the Surf City Half Marathon: http://www.runsurfcity.com/. Awesome bling and you’re running along the ocean… who could want more?!
I’ll try to use one post every couple of weeks or every couple of months to share more of my 50 state half marathon list!